Open Studio Calendar
It is shocking to see that the eight most expensive schools in the country, after subtracting the average amount of financial aid at each institution, are art schools and music conservatories. The Art Institute of Chicago tops the list, with a net price of $42,882, with Ringling, The Boston Conservatory, Berklee College of Music, and California Institute of the Arts falling close in line. Although its tuition is rising, MICA was not on the list from 2011-12. Regardless, it is curious that the eight most expensive schools in the country produce graduates in art and music.
If you are asking why these schools are so expensive, you’re asking the wrong question. The right question to ask is, why do consumers pay such a high sticker price for a degree that doesn’t correlate with high-paying jobs? There are a number of great reasons to go to art school, but there can also be a lot of hype and misinformation involved in this decision as well. Once a graduate starts paying their student loans, what once seemed like a great idea can become tinged with regret. And poverty... read on at the website.
MAKE ACCOUNTS: NOW
DOCUMENT WORK: NOW
UPLOAD ALL IMAGES by Friday, Dec 11
REQUEST FEE WAIVER: ASAP
PRINT and SIGN Forms, return to your art teacher by Monday Dec 14.
Please note: These deadlines are important. We have finals next week and we do not want Scholastic to distract you, or your art teachers who will be administering finals and completing their grading.
Challenge: We have been on the top of the Western States for Scholastic Awards, let’s keep it that way by entering our best artwork. You are winners!
SCHOLASTIC ART: How to enter
- MAKE AN ACCOUNT AT https://www.artandwriting.org/Student/Signup
You can use old accounts, but update your grade and any other info.
- Fill in the school information
Ramón C. Cortines School of Visual & Performing Arts
450 N Grand Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Principal: Kenneth Martinez
Teachers Emails- you need to know your teachers’ info to submit
Lamoin Garrard, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Lemvo, email@example.com
Julie McManus, firstname.lastname@example.org
Oliver Shipley, email@example.com
(Put the teacher’s name where the work was done)
- DOCUMENT: Photograph/SCAN your artwork, and edit photos if needed. Do this ASAP. Best done by your art teacher, but you can also use your camera phone. Best to gather your images onto your google drive, or your flash drive. Digital art should go directly to the site, but you may need to adjust the size of the files.
ARTWORK DOCUMENTATION CONT…
Digital Image Requirements
• JPG file
• Print dimensions must be 5" x 7" or larger.
• Image resolution must be 300 dpi.
• Students can scan photography at 100%.
• For 3-D works, include up to four images. Please include a ruler or another object for reference to indicate scale in at least one if the images.
• For Comic Art, include up to eight images.
• Videos are uploaded online according to category descriptions
- Photos of Artwork from “Word” and “Airy Nothing” will be available from Ms McManus and Mr Garrard. All work from these shows should be sent to Scholastic.
- UPLOAD: Upload your photos of artwork, or your digital photos/media to the Scholastic account. You will need to know the size and the media/materals used. UPLOAD by FRIDAY DEC 11.
- Request a fee waiver here (it takes 30 seconds): http://goo.gl/forms/iKR0VJQtJd
- SUBMIT: When you have uploaded everything you want to send Scholastic, you will submit your entries. If you are applying for a fee waiver, check off “Fee Waiver” and then SUBMIT. This will generate a page for each of your artworks that must be printed and signed. SUBMIT by Dec 11. Print at school if you don’t have a printer at home.
- PRINT: The last step is to print out a page for each of your entries (these will either be inside your account, or from an email link)- each form has a barcode for each artwork, and it must be signed by your teacher and your parent. If they don’t scan your returned form from the barcode, your work will not be judged. RETURN all forms TO YOUR ART TEACHER BY MONDAY, DEC 14.
Scholastic Art is our favorite art contest. Join famous artists like Andy Warhol on the list of scholastic award recipients. It is an honor to win an award and also a way to earn a scholarship. Last year, we topped the Western Region for awards. Are we going to do it again? ALL SUBMISSIONS for both art and writing due Dec 14.
Freedom of Expression
Attend the grand opening reception on Thursday 10/15 at 3:30pm in the Visual Arts Academy building. All welcome and it's free!
Check out the October scholarships. Contact the websites for this year's due dates.
Hertz Fellowship Contact: The Hertz Foundation, 2300 First St. Suite 250, Livermore, CA 94550, (925) 373-1642, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.hertzfoundation.org/dx/fellowships/application.aspx Eligibility: Must be students of the applied physical, biological and engineering sciences who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States of America. Award: Option 1 Hertz: Five Year $32,000/ 9-month personal stipend Full tuition equivalent Renewable for up to 5 years. Option 2 - Five-Year Coordinated/ Hertz Period - Two Years: $38,000/ 9-month personal stipend Full tuition equivalent Deadline: October 31, 2014
Coca-Cola Scholarship Contact: Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, Inc., 1 Coca Cola Plaza NW, Atlanta, GA 30313, (800) 306-2653, email@example.com, http://www.coca-colascholars.org Eligibility: For high school seniors demonstrating leadership and academic achievement. Must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident planning to attend an accredited university. Must have a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0. at the end of their Junior year of high school. Cannot have parents or grandparents who are employees of Coca-Cola or of a Coca-Cola bottling plant. Award: Varies Deadline: October 31, 2014 Courtesy of Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA-40) Page 6 of 60
NFL Films Internship Contact: National Football League, 1 NFL Plaza, Mt Laurel, NJ 08054 (856) 222-3500 http://www.nfl.com/careers/internships Eligibility: Open to all college students and recent graduates. Award: Contact for information Deadline: Contact program for deadline in October.
May 6, 2016 is the deadline for the AP Studio Art portfolios. We have a lot of work to do between then and now. Many of your deadlines are earlier than this date, but this is the date the art goes in the mail.