There are literally thousands of private colleges across the U.S. They all vary in location, size, religious affiliation, programs of study and cost.
Here are a few private colleges in the Southern California area:
(Click on a school to visit their website)
- University of Southern California (USC)
- Occidental College
- Loyola Marymount University (LMU)
- Whittier College
- Pepperdine University
- Claremont McKenna College (Claremont Colleges)
- Pomona College (Claremont Colleges)
- Scripps College (Claremont Colleges - Women's College)
- Harvey Mudd College (Claremont Colleges)
- California Institute of Technology (CalTech)
- Private schools typically have the same subject requirements as the UC's and the CSU's. However some schools and programs/majors within that school may require more classes or more test scores.
- Check with the individual school's website or catalog for specific admissions requirements.
- Like most other colleges, private school application are typically online applications that require a valid e-mail address and the creation of a user name and password. Most private colleges use the Common Application website. Check it out by clicking on the following link: COMMON APPLICATION WEBSITE
- Application deadlines vary depending on the school; deadlines can be as early as November of your Senior year or as late as March or April of your Senior year. Check each school's website for exact deadlines.
- Most private school applications will include an essay or personal statement.
- Private colleges also require specific supplementary documents as part of the application:
- Official Transcript - List of official high school grades and courses; Request these from the your Academy Office. They must be sent directly from the school or must be in a sealed envelope to be considered "official."
- Teacher Recommendations - Typically you should ask teachers from an academic class you did well in to write you a letter of recommendation. Don't forget to supply the envelope, stamps, and necessary recommendation forms if you are doing a paper application. If you are doing an online application make sure to get your teacher's e-mail address.
- Secondary School Report/Counselor Recommendation - Typically this form is filled out by the College Counselor. Please check out the page "Secondary School Report" for more information on the procedure for getting a recommendation letter from Ms. Herrera or your academi counselor